Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cheaters Never Prosper

03/01/09

My name is Brittny, and I have never cheated.

How many of you can say the same?

Although I've never been in a serious relationship, I still see the consequences of cheating.  It's wrong!  There is no excuse.  I've known people who cheat because they're in a loveless marriage, their husband abuses them, they're bored, they don't like monogamy, or even if your husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend is cheating on you!  Nothing justifies cheating.  And when I say cheating, I mean without your significant other's knowledge of the extramarital affair.  I don't know about those of you with "open relationships."

Not long ago, my friend told me about her wild drunken night with a bunch of people including her boyfriend.  She told me that at one point she kissed a different guy.  I thought this was funny because I'm not fond of her boyfriend, but when I told my sister, my dad overheard and reminded me that cheating is wrong.  I was a little taken aback by his response.  I needed to be reminded that unethical choices are hardly able to be justified. 

My other friend was abused by her husband, and she participated in several affairs.  I also didn't find this wrong at the time, but I do now.  Just because he hit her, doesn't mean she should cheat on him.  It does, however, mean that she should leave him.  Hurting her physically is not fixed by her hurting him emotionally.

What do you do when your friend cheats?  Tell their significant other?  Tell them to stop?  Do nothing?  I think how you respond may slightly depend on the situation, but really, how much involvement are you to take in stopping the cheating?

I have no answer.  I didn't do anything in both circumstances that I knew about.  I know of several people who choose to cheat on their spouse, and I don't know what to do or even think!  It's far more common than I thought.  When I know that someone has cheated, it makes me wonder where and when they'll stop.  If cheating is ok, is lying ok?  Is stealing ok?  Where is the line drawn against immorality?

No comments:

Post a Comment