Saturday, March 5, 2011

The End of the Quarter


03/15/09

Tomorrow starts finals week for most universities.  Therefore, tonight is full of cramming.  I am not one who consistently leaves a ton of shit to do for the last minute (at least I don't want to be this person), but by the end of the quarter, I feel like I have a million things to finish.  Last week I had the big projects due:  a 12 page paper, 10 minute presentation, 6 page paper.  This week, I have tests.  Three tests that I don't want to study for.  I'm not much of a study-er anyways, although I demand straight A's out of myself.  I'm more of a retain-er; the information I take in doesn't usually require a second time around of learning.  Except for my management class.

The class, quite frankly, is awful!  The teacher is extremely boring (oxymoronic phrase?), and I have a hard time staying awake from 6:30 to 8:35 PM.  The teacher has admitted to talking "like a choo-choo train."  But, she makes no attempt to fix her dull way of teaching.  The subject really isn't that interesting anyways.  I don't really need to know how to reward employees.  I don't give a tiny rat's ass.  The managers I've had during my working life clearly haven't taken a management course like this one.  There's way too much thinking involved.  Most managers just start at the bottom and work their way up.  Who really gets hired as a manager with no experience in the industry but a degree in management?  And just to clarify, this management course is required of all business students.  There's no way I'm doing it for fun.

So I've read the chapters that will be on the management final, but they are SO boring...just like the teacher.  I know that I'll have to reread, take notes, and actually study, which usually is just redundant for me.  But, I can't go getting lower than a 3.0 on the final.

Another thing that ruins this whole planned-studying shit is my friend, Beth.  She just arrived from Utah for a two week visit.  I know that if she wants to hang out tonight, I will probably fall into her trickery.  She won't actually try to convince me to leave; I'll do so willingly.  But, I've always been the kind of person who thinks up things that must be done mid-chapter in my finance or other boring text book.  I'm easily distractable when it comes to homework.

Lately, I've heard a couple people say, "Everything will come together," or some version of that phrase.  And I must admit that I hate that phrase.  Yes, everything most likely will come together, but it's not that simple.  Hard work will be emitted to ensure the coming together.  It is nice to look at predicaments with optimism, but I am simply not that kind of person.  I'm a realist.  I know everything will come together, everything will work out, everything will BE fucking FINE, but don't make it sound so simple.  You are underestimating that amount of work that must be put in AND consequently the amount of work that will be put in.

This tangent has gone on for long enough.  Spring break, here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment