Saturday, March 5, 2011

TCW

12/14/08

Today, I read a bulletin from my 12 year old sister titled, "SARA READ ONLY."  Of course, I'm going to read that.  I have plenty of free time at work, and I usually just read all the new bulletins.  This bulletin, however, is something I never want to see again!  My ickle baby sister was throwing around swear words, making threats, and insulting one of her friends.  I was so upset; so I printed it out.

I don't want to be a snitch or anything, but I emailed both of my parents with the bulletin.  How dare she grow into a little drama queen!  I mean, I know she and her best friend like to be considered popular at school and in essense, be the stereotypical airhead, cheerleader types, but I feel partially to blame.  Not that I'm anything of that sort, but I'm a huge influence on my baby sister's life.  I want her to want to be smart, healthy, beautiful, not snotty, back-stabbing, and fake.

I'm so protective of that little girl, who doesn't want to a little girl anymore.  With all the teeny-boppers in the media these days like Miley Cyrus, Hilary Duff, Ashley Tisdale, my little sister is bound to be similar to them!  But, I feel like she more idolizes the trashier, older versions of the above said leading ladies of her time.  These versions include:  Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan.  Not that I had a chance in hell when the number one teeny-bopper of my time, Britney Spears, came out with her little number "I'm a Slave 4U," but I pulled through.

I just want my little sister to realize:  you are a child.  You may already have a cell phone, a myspace, a boyfriend-type (?) like people my age, but you're not even considered a teenager yet.  Calm down!  You don't want a French manicure, it's too high-maintenance, and I KNOW you're all about the low-maintenance lifestyle.  You can still be cute, yet classy at a preteen.  The most important thing is:  PLEASE DON'T LET ANYONE INFLUENCE YOU!  I know that you have a tendency to do the things your friends do, but you'll promise me that it's actually the opposite:  they copy you.  But, I know they don't.  Don't try and convince me of anything.  I see what's going on here.  And, I know you were in the presence of your BFF when you wrote that bulletin.  Hopefully, sooner than later, you'll figure out who you are and not have such a hard time with being yourself.  If someone is doing things that YOU KNOW are wrong, then step back, and decide if you can be friends with that person.

The bottom line of this blog, and quite possibly my philosophy on children, is that I can't handle them growing up.  I was 7 when my little sister was born, so I remember most of her life.  But, I remember when I was little, too.  I was a nerd!  I would get straight As; I would try to be like the popular girls; I would eat my lunch in the band room (HA!).  But, I knew when they'd gone too far.  I didn't want to try X and have orgies, like the supposed tradition of Emerald Ridge students.  I know that I am a little out of control NOW, but I'm in the driver's seat.

So, as of right now, child are not in my future.  I can't handle the environment and society in which they'll have to grow.  Maybe one day,  that'll change, but I hope it isn't because I convince myself that the world isn't a hellhole.  Because it is; and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment